Exoline:Trouble running under Windows 10

I have followed the install instructions to get Python 2.7.13 installed - seems to run fine.
I followed instructions to install Exoline - and that seems to have run fine.

I have 2 files in C:\Python27\Scripts now:
exo
exoline

However, if I try to run them I am getting a module not found error for _curses

Has anyone seen this?

Am I missing an environment variable or path of some type?

I’ve tried to find a module called _curses and have not had any luck.

Any suggestion appreciated.

Thanks,
-james

If I remember correctly curses is not supported on Windows.

Which Instructions did you follow to install Exoline?

From these: https://github.com/exosite/exoline
However, I see that I might have jumped the gun and didn’t use the ones specific to Windows below there.

I used chocolatey to install Python27 latest, which also acquired pip for me.
Then I used the pip install (without sudo - ran it in an admin command prompt).

So, I think I see what I did wrong (and it looked suspicious when the end result was files without .exe nor .py file extensions).

Do you think I can get the right packages, or should I uninstall everything and follow the windows instructions that use win-pip or whatever?

I think you are already on your way to fixing this. If python27 is working you probably won’t have to uninstall it, but I would uninstall everything else.

I would recommend installing pip-win and using it to install Exoline. The package hosted there should be a version that does not have curses implemented.

Followed your suggestion, pip uninstall exoline seemed to work fine.

I then installed and used win-pip.

This seems to be a gui that simply ran the command line pip install exoline, which appears to have yielded the same results.

here’s the error I get when I try to run python exo:

C:\Python27\Scripts>python exo
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "exo", line 77, in <module>
    import blessings
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\blessings\__init__.py", line 5, in <module>
    import curses
  File "C:\Python27\lib\curses\__init__.py", line 15, in <module>
    from _curses import *
ImportError: No module named _curses

C:\Python27\Scripts>

So I seem to be experiencing the same result.

In a little while I’ll have access to a Mac that might be a better way to go anyway.

Perhaps wait until I reply with an update before pursuing this further?

Thanks for your excellent help so far.

-james

This might be a problem with the release of Exoline 0.10.0. Could you the 0.9.18 installer on the releases page?

You should have little difficulty getting Exoline running on a Mac or Linux machine. It was developed with those OSs in mind.

-Martin

I used the windows install, and it works - short of one feature I expected: the path to exo.exe was not added to my path.

Perhaps I should post an issue somewhere, where should I post that?

(If I have time, i will do the exo setup on my mac and let you know in this thread how that goes).

Thanks again!

Feel free to post an issue on the ‘Issues’ page of the repository: https://github.com/exosite/exoline/issues

Glad to hear it mostly worked.

Happy to help,
-Martin

Turns out the install did add the exoline folder to the path - I just needed to start a new command prompt.