How does an existing user get access to the newly created portals?

I have existing (testing) users that were created before a Portal was created. How do I assign the user to gain access to the portal? Same goes for adding and updating a dashboard. When I create or update the dashboard, existing users are not getting changes.

White Label account doesn't link new users to created portals

To give a user access to a portal, go into that portal and go to the ‘Admin’ link for the portal. There, you’ll find the option to assign a user (enter their email address) as a manager role or a viewer of a custom dashboard role. There is no option to assign users to a portal from the subdomain admin area.

I’m stuck. My portal only allows for 1 user even though I have a white label account. I have users that I added that don’t have a portal. Then I created a portal or dashboard, whatever it is called. The next user I added now has the portal/dashboard on the home screen. The problem this first user still can’t view the new portal/dashboard that has been created. Is this user stuck without a portal or dashboard?? I would like to delete this user and add it again, but I can’t find a way to delete the user.

The flow, terms, and usage of the interface is very unintuitive. I find my self clicking all over the menus and spending tons of time trying to figure out the various configuration and how it effects the settings through experimentation. It is frustrating when I’m trying to get a simple template for all new and existing users.

I hear your feedback loud and clear on this, I agree with you and you can trust that will make sure our product team gets this information.

Just to provide some background, Portals is based on a concept of creating these containers called a ‘portal’. A portal has an owner (user), other users (different roles), devices, and dashboards. Each portal has limits set on it based on the plan chosen to create that portal. This lets vendors control what a portal can do.

Creating Portals
Portals can be created in one of two ways. One is to have a user sign-up for a plan using the sign-up interface. The other is to create the portal via the subdomain admin interface (https://>subdomain<.exosite.com/admin/portallist).

Adding Users
Once a portal is created, only those who have access to it (owner, manager) can see it or add users. The owner or manager users can add other users to that portal by navigating to that specific portal and going to the /manage/admin page (click the ‘ADMIN’ button on the left side of the Portal Menu.

This links show some info about that: https://support.exosite.com/hc/en-us/articles/201477040-User-Roles

Limits
If your portal user limit has been met, the portal limit needs to be updated. This can be done in one of two ways. The first is that the owner of the portal increases the limit by changing the plan or adding add-ons. This typically would have a cost to it. The second way is for a subdomain admin to go to the Portals Limits administrative page (https://>subdomain<.exosite.com/admin/portallimits) and change the limit for that portal. This is done by applying add-ons for changing the plan.

Your subdomain should have a number of add-on users available included.

Portals hierarchy
If you are curious, here is the hierarchy of Portals as One Platform clients.

Subdomain
|
-- User (owner)
    |
      -- Portal 
          |
          -- Devices

Users, Portals are just like Devices in that they are clients in the platform and therefore can have dataports and scripts running under neat them.

All users are at this same level as a client in the subdomain but may not all be owners of a portal. Portals keeps a database of user relationship to specific portals.

Portals also keeps track and stores custom dashboards for each portal and for each subdomain domain dashboards, domain widgets, and other application information in it’s own database.

A couple of notes:

1. A user can be owner of multiple portals
  2. A user can have access to multiple portals in different roles
  3. A user can exist in a subdomain but not have access to any portal.

Default Portal Home page
By default each new portal created in a subdomain will have the Exosite default dashboard, which is editable as a custom dashboard. Subdomain Admins can change this by creating a Domain Dashboard and then changing the value for Default Dashboard Template on this administrative page: https://>subdomain<.exosite.com/admin/newusers. This applies this new default dashboard to all new portals created.