Is there a widget to send data from Exosite to a LaunchPad board?

I’ve looked through the widgets and they all seem to collect data except for the on/off switches. Is there a simple widget to send a numeric value to the board?

Thanks

Hi @bedwards1000,

The primary method in getting data to your device from the platform is by having the device poll the platform. This most often done by a periodic poll, or by using the long-polling methods that we have available. This means that inside of implementing a “send” function in your widget, you could solve everything from the widget end by writing new data into the platform.

Additionally, we do also support HTTP sending messages from the platform to a device. This would require your device to have a static IP and limited server capabilities.

One of our applications engineers wrote and published a concise article about this exact same topic. You can get more details about bidirectional communication here: Pushing-Data-to-Your-Device

Another ExoMan pointed out to me that you might benefit from an example widget that writes to a dataport. Below you will find two examples of different complexity.

The first is a simple HTML form that will read the resources passed into it and create a simple form that allows you to write a new value:

The next is a more comprehensive example that illustrates that user design and thoughtful constraints can be included within a widget. This next example is a bit more complex:

Thanks for the ideas, I’ll take a look tomorrow. Is there a standard widget that acts as a data source that can be polled?

@bedwards1000,

I am sensing a bit of confusion with regards to some of the platform’s constructs. Widgets and data sources are two very different concepts that exist in two different applications. The Portals application that Exosite provides is an example application that provides a quick environment in which to get started with IoT development, and provide data visualization through our dashboard builder and widgets. Data sources are a back-end object that holds time-series data in Time:Value pairs. You are in-fact interacting with a couple of layered applications while logged into Portals.

I should also be clear that you do not have to use Portals when you engage with Exosite. Our platform is application agnostic, and Portals is provided for free as an accelerant.

Here is a link to an article of ours that explains the high-level structure of our platform: https://support.exosite.com/hc/en-us/articles/200491553-One-Platform-101

Let us know if helps clear things up.

To answer your question: “No, there is not a standard widget that will do what you are looking for”. The closest is the on/off widget, that is ‘writing’ either a 1 or 0 to a data source. However this functionality can be built into a custom widget, and you can leverage the examples posted above to create this.

I would recommend steering away from using the widget to contain the communication and storage logic. Using the widget as a end-user interface to write data will stay in-line with widget strengths. You can continue to use the data source as the repository for your data, the container in which your widget will write into, and the object that your device will poll.

Some supplementary reading about the constructs mentioned above:

Let us know how this works out for you tomorrow – We are always happy to help,
-Martin

@bedwards1000,

I am sensing a bit of confusion with regards to some of the platform’s constructs. Widgets and data sources are two very different concepts that exist in two different applications. Portals is an application that we provide as an example environment and to help developers get started with IoT development. Portals can provide data visualization through our dashboard builder and widgets. Data sources are a back-end object that holds time-series data in Time:Value pairs. You are in-fact interacting with a couple of layered applications while logged into Portals.

I should also be clear that you do not have to use Portals when you engage with Exosite. Our platform is application agnostic, and Portals is provided for free as an accelerant.

Here is a link to an article of ours that explains the high-level structure of our platform: https://support.exosite.com/hc/en-us/articles/200491553-One-Platform-101

Let us know if helps clear things up.

To answer your question: “No, there is not a standard widget that will do what you are looking for”. The closest is the on/off widget, that is ‘writing’ either a 1 or 0 to a data source. However this functionality can be built into a custom widget, and you can leverage the examples posted above to create this.

I would recommend steering away from using the widget to contain the communication and storage logic. Using the widget as a end-user interface to write data will stay in-line with widget strengths. You can continue to use the data source as the repository for your data, the container in which your widget will write into, and the object that your device will poll.

Some supplementary reading about the constructs mentioned above:

Let us know how this works out for you tomorrow – We are always happy to help,
-Martin

Hi Martin,

I wouldn’t call it confusion as much as not knowing what questions to ask. I should have asked if there was a widget that could provide data to a data source.

With your help I have what I need for now. I used the slider widget code to provide data to a source and have successfully transferred data to and from my client. How it does it is still a mystery to me but I’ll figure that out when I need to (if I need to) Right now I just need to show proof of concept and I think I can do that.

I think that slider should be a standard widget since getting data to a client is a common application.

Thanks for your help!