Nomenclature for product ID in Exosite Murano ADC

Hi,

I’m trying to validate a product ID entered by an user for automating some tasks. This is going to be a valid product ID already associated with my business.
What is the nomenclature for a product ID?
What are the total number of characters (is it fixed number of chars)?
Can it be alphanumeric?
Can it start with a number?
Is it case sensitive?

From what I’ve seen in the past with ADC products, their IDs are 17 characters long, alphanumeric, lower case only, must begin with a letter. Not sure if this is true for all product IDs.

Can you kindly help me with the above questions?

Kind regards,
Vijay.

Hi Vijay,

Sanitizing user input is very important, so I understand your desire to validate this input.

However, based on what I’ve gathered, the only validation advice I can give you is that the Product ID is a UTF-8 string that is both a valid (safe) domain label as well as a safe Lua variable name.

Questions:

Answers:

1. This number can change. I don’t recommend building validation logic that checks the length.
  2. Yes (UTF-8).
  3. Yes.
  4. Yes.

Question:

Answer:
Not necessarily 17 characters long, UTF-8, case-sensitive, can begin with either a number or a letter.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions!

Thanks,

~Will

Hi @willcharlton

Thanks for your answer. My script validates two barcode scans. First will be the UUID which is also alphanumeric (we use a 8 character limit). Next will be the Product ID.

Now since you say that the length of product ID is variable, how can I distinguish between both these IDs? Any ideas?

Kind regards,
Vijay.