Particle photon, electron with Murano

I was wondering if any users have had success using a Particle Photon or Electron with the Murano platform. Particle products are quite popular and the services are getting stronger ever day. I think that Murano and the Particle projects would be very powerful together so please let me know if anyone has had luck or plans to try it out.

Thanks!

Hi @vteds,

We haven’t heard from any users trying to connect a Particle device to Murano yet, but we are excited about the prospect and know that it will work.

We have had many users use Particle boards through the Portals platform, and we currently have a C library for connecting Particle devices to Portals. With a few adjustments this code could be altered to allow a Particle board to talk to Murano right away.

There are two main differences when making calls to Murano vs. calls via One Platform:

1. The provisioning process needs to use a product id as opposed to a vendor and model.
  2. The domain url would need to be changed to [yourProductid].m2.exosite.com

To show these differences, here’s a side-by-side comparison of a typical activation request, one using One Platform and the other using Murano:

One Platform way:

POST /provision/activate HTTP/1.1
Host: m2.exosite.com
Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded; charset=utf-8
Content-Length: <length>

vendor=<vendor>&model=<model>&sn=<sn>

Murano way:

POST /provision/activate HTTP/1.1
Host: <productid>.m2.exosite.com

vendor=<productid>&model=<productid>&sn=<identity>

Once these differences are taken into account it should be easy to create your own Murano/Particle project

-Joey

Thanks for the quick response! I am one such user who has used a particle photon with a portals account, however I am more interesting in working with the future of exosite (Murano) rather than using a product that will be phased out. I will try and get the photon talking to Murano soon and post my feedback. Is there any hopes of a Murano library for the Particle devices? Though it sounds like there are work arounds, having a supported library usually makes the process more simple and stable. I have also tried to link my Particle electron to exosite portals however the data that I sent to the portal only was received some of the time and randomly. I hope to have an Electron and Photon talking to Murano at some point in the near future. This is part of my teams R&D towards a sensor and actuator front end to display data and control devices.
One more note…I was thrilled with the ease, stability and front end of using a Photon with the Portals. Only hoping this gets even stronger with Murano and inclusion of the Electron.

Thanks again!

Is there any hopes of a Murano library for the Particle devices?

Yes, there is hope. In the future we may update the existing library to use a Particle Photon with Murano.

I have also tried to link my Particle electron to exosite portals however the data that I sent to the portal only was received some of the time and randomly.

I’m sorry to hear that you are having some trouble with this. If you want help looking into it, feel free to create a new post about it! Any debug information holding the server responses would be very useful in understanding what is happening.

Anyways, let us know if you are able to get your Particle device talking to Murano!

-Joey

I have started working on getting the Photon to talk to the Murano platform. I have tried using the Provision example code, however I have typically used the ReadWriteString.ino when using a photon and the Exosite Portal. What changes need to be made to accomplish reaching the Murano platform using the ReadWriteString.ino and function call?

Thanks

Hi @vteds,

The syntax of your call shouldn’t need to be changed. Just make sure you feed your CIK into the into the example ino and make sure you have a resource matching the ‘alias’ you have in your sketch. Overall, the structure of HTTP API calls changes very little when talking to Murano. Here’s an example of a typical write call:

POST /onep:v1/stack/alias HTTP/1.1 
Host: m2.exosite.com 
X-Exosite-CIK: <CIK> 
<blank line>
<alias 1>=<value 1>&<alias 2...>=<value 2...>&<alias n>=<value n>

Also, here’s a link to our HTTP API overview, which explains the different types of calls and shows some examples: http://docs.exosite.com/murano/products/device_api/http/