Setting up database instance on cloud

Hello

I have a development board (Texas Instruments DK-TM4C129X), I was able to connect the board to the ti-exosite portal(ti.exosite,com) with help from the community (https://community.exosite.com/t/dk-tm4c129x-will-it-work-on-exosite/336/7). I have connected some sensors on the board and now am able to send the real time sensor data to the exosite portal. However, apart from this i also want to store some historical data on the cloud, hence, wanted to know if there is a provision to do that on exosite (like setting up a DB instance). If it is possible, i also have to perform certain analytics on the data, and wanted to know if there is a service for the same.

Thanks & Regards
Yash Bhan

Hi Yash,

Thanks for posting! I think you have been using Exosite’s time series database for some time without even realizing it. Portals the web application generally is setup to display topical data, but under the hood, all of your data has been store in our back-end service called the ‘One Platform’. You can access this data using the web interface in Portals(try clicking on a data source on your /manage/date page) or by using our API. The ‘read’ procedure is the one that you will want to use.

Otherwise, deploying your own database instance is not supported in the Exosite’s Portals product.

As for performing analytics, what kinds of operations do you want to do? The most popular way to analyze data in Portals is through the use of Lua scripts. Documentation on Exosite’s Lua scripting engine. This is very useful for post-processing data. Additionally example Lua scripts can be found in a repository owned by our example code Git hub organization.

Let me know if you have questions about using the RPC API, Lua scripts, or anything else.

Happy to help,
-Martin

Hi Martin

Thank you for the reply!
Apart from the data sent to the portal via the board, i also want to store certain historical values on the cloud, and wanted to know if there is a way to do that, it would be a one time thing. Also, i have an AWS(Amazon Web Services) account, is it possible that the data sent to the portal via the board could be forwarded to AWS, as on the exosite web site, AWS is mentioned as a partner.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards
Yash Bhan

Hi Yash,

Apart from the data sent to the portal via the board, i also want to store certain historical values on the cloud, and wanted to know if there is a way to do that, it would be a one time thing.

You can create time series resources under any ‘client’ in the system(in the back-end your portal and device are modeled as clients, along with other things). What kind of values do you want to store, and how do you want to access them?

Also, i have an AWS(Amazon Web Services) account, is it possible that the data sent to the portal via the board could be forwarded to AWS, as on the exosite web site, AWS is mentioned as a partner.

From the One Platform you have the ability to send HTTP messages to other servers using Dispatch resources or Lua scripts.

Creating a Lua script to parse and forward data to another server is a common use case. This is usually the way the One Platform is integrated with other services, including Amazon’s web services.

I don’t have a sharable Amazon example, but I do have an example script that talks to Hipchat’s API. That should help illustrate how to using the dispatch.http() function. The full documentation on sending messages through our Lua scripting engine can be read here: http://docs.exosite.com/scripting/#the-dispatch-table.

Dispatches are good for tightly controlled messages, that are small in size/payload. You can read more about how they work here: http://docs.exosite.com/oneplatform/#dispatches.

Let me know if you have questions about how to store data in Exosite, or how to integrate with another service via dispatches.

-Martin

Hello Martin

Thank you so much for your reply, and sorry for replying so late.

The values would be basic numbers(integer/float) values. Would want to store them in a tabular format hence i asked if we could set up a DB instance on the cloud. Also, the values are stored on a laptop, so will have to send them via the laptop only, is there a way to connect a laptop/pc to the one platform?

In the meantime, will try to rework the example script for communicating with hipchat API(thank you for sharing the sample!) to work with AWS.

Thanks & Regards
Yash Bhan

Exosite’s one platform does not allow you to store data in this way, nor does it allow you to host/setup a database instance.

Recording time series data is still possible, you will just need to do this using One Platform dataports.

Also, the values are stored on a laptop, so will have to send them via the laptop only, is there a way to connect a laptop/pc to the one platform?

Typically this is done in the legacy platform by having your laptop use the One Platform API. You will have to write a program to forward data from your local database into the platform.