Wired MAC address for Device setup with YUN

To whom it may concern,

I am trying to connect my YUN to exosite and there seems to be some security issues within my corp. when setting up the yun wifi. I notice that when adding a device to my portal it asks me to use the mac address that is generated during setup. Is this the only address to use? I can add scripts and run programs on the arduino with no problem, so using the gettingstarted example generates a MAC address. Can i use this address?

Secondly, Does the board have to be configure through the initial setup screen as described on the arduino website here
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoYun

or can i just “plug and play” with exosite by using a wired connection and the outputted MAC address from the script above. (If i need to ask this in the arduino forums, please let me know. Im not sure how familiar the tech here is with arduino’s vs how familiar the arduino community is with exosite.)

Please advise.

Yes - If you use a Arduino sketch that prints out the MAC Address from the device’s hardware, you can use that MAC Address.

You should be able to just use the Ethernet connection instead of WiFi and then you would not have to go through the guide to set up the WiFi.

Thanks,
-Mike

I appreciate the response. I was able to successfully connect. However, if i unplug my device and plug it back in (USB) the board does not run the Exoyungettingstarted program. In fact, i cannot reconnect with exosite until i upload an entirely different program, and then reupload the getting started program. This is less than ideal as in the long term I would like to run the arduino off of a battery from a “remote” location. Is there something in that code that makes it so that the board cannot be disconnected and then simply reconnected? I didn’t see anything that would warrant this behavior. I was planning on taking all of the concepts from that program and then applying them to my own scenario. Please advise.

Thank you.

There’s nothing in the code that should be making that happen.

Do you see anything on the serial port when plugging it back in? Does this happen to any other sketches? Have you made any modifications to the example?

I’ve actually seen something that may be related to what you’re seeing. If you’ve added any code to the example, I know of a problem with the Yún where the bootloader won’t run the application code when the flash is more the 67% (maybe? something like that) full unless it’s connected to a USB host. I ran into this when I needed a bunch of large libraries to get a weather station demo running.

I just played with it a bit and there is one thing to mention. How long are you waiting before giving up and deciding that it’s not doing anything? It looks like it takes about 50-60 seconds for the Bridge.begin() call to return, so if you don’t happen to catch the “Boot” message it could look like it’s not working. Also I’ve found that I need to close and re-open the serial monitor after I plug the Yún back in.

Correct, i noticed that as well. I usually give it about 2-3 minutes. as many as 10 when i walked away from my desk. sometimes it boots fine in that 50-60 second period but it looks like if it misses that time window it is game over. Furthermore, when i do manage to get it to connect i have to reprovision and create a new widget, it will not pick up where it left off on my existing ones. very odd. I dont seem to have any issues with the arduino IDE examples.

How old is your Yun?

I’ve been trying on one that is brand new (not sure if there’s a way to check versions). If you’re having to reprovision it sounds like you have the fuse setting that the older Yuns used. For sure you have the fuse bit set to erase the EEPROM on a flash upload (that’s why you have to re-enable and re-provision, your CIK is getting erased from the EEPROM) and then you also presumably also then have the bootloader address fuse set wrong. See this thread (post #4 specifically) for more info about what (I’m pretty sure) the problem is: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=254848.msg1804912

If you have a way to update the bootloader on the atmega chip, that sounds like it should solve your problem.

Patrick,

I got it working. (Or so i would assume, it has successfully connected 10/10 times.) To be honest I am not entirely sure what the issue was, my only thought is that my company was doing “network maintenance” on that same day and something was keeping me from connecting. Seems to be working now though. Thanks for all of the help, and just FYI, the Yun is less than a month old.

Glad to hear that it’s working!

Still a very strange case. If it ever stops working again, come back and we can see if we can’t find the root cause.